RE: Translation: Word vs Framemaker vs Indesign

Subject: RE: Translation: Word vs Framemaker vs Indesign
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:27:38 -0400

Catherine -

Frame *does* support PL, CS, and TR (to use the ISO language codes). I
currently provide translated documents in Frame in all three of those
languages. My templates use the language-specific fonts for TNR and Arial
that come with Frame. (Times New Roman CE and Times New Roman TUR.) I'm
waiting for Unicode support (HELLO, ADOBE?? ANYONE LISTENING???), but in the
meantime this is a working solution.

My translation vendor has also found a way to get Frame to handle Arabic,
which is a right-to-left language and (supposedly) not do-able in Frame.
:-)

Our docs are published in the following languages, and all source files are
in Frame:
AR, ZH-TW and ZH-CN, HR, CS, DA, NL, EN, FI, FR, DE, EL, HU, IT, JA, NO, PL,
PT, RU, ES, SV, and TR.
(Two-letter language designations based on ISO3166. See
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/lis
t-en1.html ).

So, if your translation agency is telling you that they can't do
translations in Frame in those languages, then you should probably shop
around for another agency. Feel free to contact me offlist for some
referrals.

*************************
Carla Martinek, Translation Coordinator/Editor
Zebra Technologies Corporation
333 Corporate Woods Parkway, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
tel: 847.793.5616 fax: 847.821.1795
cmartinek -at- zebra -dot- com

- CONFIDENTIAL -
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also
be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete
this email.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com