Re: ADMIN: New Poll Question

Subject: Re: ADMIN: New Poll Question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:39:14 -0800

Not to be Jungian or anything, but I guess I'd fall into the Other/None of the
Above Category.

It's been six years since I earned my entire income from technical writing, and
the exact amount has wavered in that time between 10 and 90 percent.

I'm currently entering a period in which I'll be earning my money from
instruction and course design on the one hand, and journalism on the other -
most of both involving various open source technologies. For a few months,
anyway, I'll be doing no technical writing as such, although I don't rule out
doing the occasional contract after that.

After struggling to make a living in academia, I was pleased to discover that
tech-writing allowed me a decent living. But that was ten years ago, and some of
the bloom is off. Not so much off tech-writing; since I've mostly been a
contractor, I haven't been around most places long enough to get bored. But I
have seriously over-dosed on working in an office, and all the pointless
politics and the HR efforts to build a team by treating everyone like high
school juniors.

Most of all, I just can't raise any feeling of urgency any more about product
deadlines and launches. I'm just starting to talk with a First Nations group
about OpenOffice.org, and, while I know that there will be politics involved,
I'm also looking forward to a little meaning along with the pay cheque. That's a
bonus that would be absolutely priceless to me.

--
Bruce Byfield

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com