Re: ADMIN: New Poll Question

Subject: Re: ADMIN: New Poll Question
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 14:38:51 -0500

At 9:34 PM -0700 2004/10/31, Lisa M. Bronson wrote:

But anyway, since you're here... are you happy being a technical writer?

I'm frustrated with the current economic slump, which is making techwriting freelance gigs hard to find in my area and pushing down salaries and freelance rates in most local industries. But I LOVE all aspects of technical writing and editing and web development and computer troubleshooting and I can't imagine giving any of it up.

Is there something else you'd rather do? Do you think this career is here
to stay, or will it go by the wayside someday, forcing you to repurpose to
another career?

The stuff still needs to be done. Somebody has to do it. I may have to call myself something other than a "technical writer" to get the jobs, though. At my last freelance gig, for example, the job title was 'IT analyst". What did I do? Some job and task analysis, some policy and procedure writing, some editing of help screens and web page text, and some writing for a user guide, a sysadmin manual, and some quality system docs. Sounds like a typical techwriting job to me <grin>.

So, the question is this: How many more years do you expect to be a tech
writer?
[snip]

* Other/None of the above

To paraphrase some famous guy from a previous election campaign, until they pry the computer mouse out of my cold, dead hand. I *love* this work, dang it!

--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com