File name conventions

Subject: File name conventions
From: nancy -dot- morgan -at- kaz-group -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 16:22:56 -0700

Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not to include the version
number in the filename?

My thoughts are that it is not practical if you are sticking to the 8.3
rule. Including version numbers would also mean more work in keeping links
up-to-date.

I can see that it would be useful for seeing which document is the latest
version. However, if you are only making the latest version of a document
available then it would not matter so much (particularly if you record the
version info. within the properties of the file).

I have had quite a few different points of view (e.g. apparently in the
pharmaceutical industry you always add version numbers to filenames?)
given to me as to what standard we should use to name our files (documents
specifically). As I am in a position where I may be able to influence
(yay!) what the actual standard will be, I would like to get it right. I
have done some research (including looking through the TECHWR-L archives)
but have not yet found anything that can convince me of the need to
include the version number in the file name.

Thanks
Nancy

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com