Question about how to start small Web site

Subject: Question about how to start small Web site
From: "James Jones" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:37:33 -0600

Hello
This question is for those Web-savvy people on the list.
A small nonprofit effort that I think is really important (helping
medical development in another part of the world) is giving me the
responsibility of starting their first Web site.
Right now I'm thinking that they have to do everything very very
cheaply (like at no-cost). But this might change at some point because
they might eventually be able to get a school or institution to step in
and donate resources. Actually, they might be able to get a school to
donate Web server space right away. Although I know some of this general
stuff, I have no clue as to the details. For example, I don't even know
whether we have to ask for Web space. Can we just assign some to
ourselves because already we are like an operating nonprofit. And then
there is the other country (Iraq) -- I think they are assigned Internet
addresses that are available but that they don't use too much, right?
Internet Assigned Numbers Authority? ICANN? IANA?
The Web site will be all in English (or mostly in English) at first
but probably we will be adding Arabic sections.
I'm technically knowledgeable but not Web-savvy. I'm trying to get
that way.
Can someone help start me in the right direction? Thanks.
Jim Jones http://www.tinyurl.com/4arjc

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com