RE: Question about how to start small Web site

Subject: RE: Question about how to start small Web site
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 10:41:51 -0800

"For example, I don't even know whether we have to ask for Web space. Can we
just assign some to ourselves because already we are like an operating
nonprofit. "

Oooooookay. First, I recommend you read up on how the Internet works and
what is needed to build a basic website. Short one-day classes are often
available that give this overview. BE that pesky person who asks the "dumb"
questions during class, during breaks, after class. You can probably find
Robin Williams' "The Non-Designer's Web Book" in your library... read it
before the class or any other books so that new info will stick better.

This will give you the background knowledge you'll need for your next step:
your website development document. You need to decide in writing (with the
nonprofit) what you want the website to do for them now, in a year, two
years, etc. to five years; available resources (including time and people);
what you can reasonably accomplish of your goals with the resources you
have; alternatives to these; a timeframe for deliverables; at least a start
to the information architecture; and so forth. This doesn't have to be a
long document or in any particular (or pretty) format. It will, however,
save much more time and grief than it takes to produce. Asking the questions
you'll need to write it will give you and your nonprofit a much clearer idea
of what they want and can have.

Or, run, do not walk, to the nearest technical institute or college or
university that has an suitable program and get a student to do his
practicum doing all this....preferably someone about to graduate, not a
first year student.

:-)

Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design