Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Contracting

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question - Contracting
From: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:50:29 -0500

(resending after getting a bounce message from the list - hope this doesn't
result in two copies going to all subscribers)

These days, I've got a staff job that demands my presence in the office every
day...

But when I was working as an independent consultant I usually tried to schedule
a mix of on-site and off-site work. The ideal mix from my point of view is a
day or two on-site every week with the balance of work done off-site. I have
done a couple of 100% off-site projects; one went quite well because the client
was used to working with remote staff, and one was a complete logistical
nightmare. I have done *many* "mixed" on-site/off-site assignments, and they
have generally worked out pretty well.

It's important to be on-site not only for reasons of SME access or product
access, but also for political reasons; you want to be able to press the flesh,
talk with colleagues, and in general avoid the "out of sight, out of mind" (or
"off-site, out of mind") syndrome.

That said, I am generally much more efficient when working from my home office
than when at a client site. As a dedicated gear junkie, I tend to have better
equipment at home than I'm offered on client sites. Also, there are fewer
interruptions, I love the schedule flexibility, and being able to knock out a
manual, presentation or online help module in your bathrobe, with a cat in your
lap, has much to recommend it.

P.S. Bottom line, though, I'm with Peter: if your check doesn't bounce, I'm your
man. (Call me anything, just don't call me late for supper, etc.)

--
Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
http://enrevanche.blogspot.com

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com