Re: What is wrong with this sentence?

Subject: Re: What is wrong with this sentence?
From: "Poster" <Poster -at- aurora -dot- cotse -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:07:13 -0400 (EDT)

Kapoor, Shelly said:
> "ABC provides the XYZ interface using which you can create folders for
> storing your personal card information."
>
> Specifically, what's wrong with the use of "using which". I think its
> incorrect, but I am not sure why that is so.

Which is a preposition used to choose among objects or to specify a
particular object in the list (e.g. "Which one?" "He chose which
ball?"). It's hard to tell when it's being misused because verbal
communication has equated "which" with "what", e.g. "Speaking of
which..." The sentence in question relies on one of those speaking
conventions that just doesn't work so well in the written word. It's
not unlike starting a sentence with the preposition "so."

:)

~He who posts

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com