Re: Telecommuting Advice?

Subject: Re: Telecommuting Advice?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 15:59:24 -0400

> Anyone have any advice for someone about to start telecommuting and how to deal with the usual stuff--boredom, distractions, lack of "face time" with others? How do I keep from getting so starved for adult conversation that I latch onto strangers at the grocery store or talk my husband's ears off? How do I keep from rearranging the furniture in the house or doing my spring cleaning when I'm supposed to be working? I'd like to know what's worked for other people.

If you're concerned that you're going to be bored or heavily
distracted, I think this arrangement is going to be exceptionally
difficult for you. Telecommuting requires focus and drive. If you
don't have them, you're going to have a very hard time getting things
done.

Aside from actual productivity, you need to worry about perceived
prodictivity. You need to set actual working hours for yourself and
keep them. Be online and available via e-mail/phone/IM during those
times. I suggest you keep regular office hours (8:30 to 5:30 with a
break for lunch). I also suggest you call into meetings that you'd
normally attend in-person, and be active in the meetings. Also, make
sure you are getting work done and people know it.

Telecommuting can be a great arrangement, but it can also be extremely
challenging. If you find yourself puttering around the house, you're
going to be in trouble.

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com