Re: general topic of spelling

Subject: Re: general topic of spelling
From: Kate Salm <kate_salm -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 05:14:40 -0700 (PDT)

I started reading young (3), am to this day a
voracious reader, and a fast reader. I also have to
write out words before spelling them out loud, I
always tell people I'm a horrible speller so that they
won't use me as a dictionary. I even did it on this
list when the spelling topic first came up- and its
not like any of you would need me to spell something
for you!

I spent most of college as my dorms walking, talking
dictionary/thesaurus. And have always done it for my
family... someone once asked my sister why she didn't
buy a dictionary and she replied "why, I've got Kate
right here, and she's free".

Maybe I should start charging a fee... 25 cents for
spelling, 35 cents for thinking up a synonym, 50 cents
for antonyms, and $1 per definition...

The weird thing I've noticed is that I actually spell
better when I just write out the word, if I think
about it to hard I start second guessing myself about
if I've spelled the word correctly. But if I just
write without consciously (see I stopped to think...
!!!) thinking about it I can spell pretty much
anything, even words I don't know.

--- hls_ut -at- comcast -dot- net wrote:

> Philip Taterczynski said:
> > ...my personal experience with technical writing
> as been "Dictionary? I
> > don't need no steenking dictionary". I'd be
> interested in hearing from
> > others who were early readers
>
> Not a particularly early reader (5?), but always a
> voracious one--and a naturally fast one as well. I
> often experience that write & spell but not
> pronounce phenomenon. People use me like a walking
> dictionary.
>
> Is this weird? Often I can't spell a word
> aloud--the process of having to speak the letters
> slows me down and they get jumbled up. But if I
> write it down quickly it's usually correct, and then
> I can call out the spelling.

http://mail.yahoo.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com