online tutorial

Subject: online tutorial
From: Kate Stout <stout -dot- k -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:52:38 -0400

I need to create a web based tutorial for a client. Ideally, I'd like to produce the tutorial both as a web based set of documents and as a pdf file. The first tutorial will have about 100 pages for the first version, with the possibility of doubling or tripling over time, as new topics are added. I'd like simple navigation : TOC, then navigation of (back|next) through the sections at the same level.

There's no full time documentation staff (different thread, obviously!), so I need to design something that could be picked up and modified by a developer.
There are a number of tools that could be used:
1) Help Tools, like Robo Help
2) Conversion tools that take Word documents and convert them into web documents, like Webworks
3) Web Management Tools, like NetObjects or DreamWeaver.

I could use your thoughts on tools you've used and like, and any pros or cons to them. Keep in mind that I'm trying to balance good tutorial functionality with ease of maintenance.

Thanks,

Kate

Thanks,

Kate.