Mysterious rlt files in RoboHelp projects

Subject: Mysterious rlt files in RoboHelp projects
From: "Norcross, Amanda" <Amanda -dot- Norcross -at- kla-tencor -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:50:24 -0700

My colleague and I have been using ever-progressing versions of RoboHelp
for several years now and have always noticed these mysterious files
that appear in our RoboHelp project directories. The file name is
rlt###.htm where ### is a seemingly random number. When you open one of
these files, sometimes they're empty but usually they contain the
content of a help topic that already exists in the project under another
name. For example, I may already have a help topic named Save_a_File.htm
and, when I open rlt101.htm, it contains the same text and looks the
same as Save_a_File.htm.

We keep our projects under source control and that is the only time
these mysterious files cause a problem. They have increased quite a bit
in number over time, and check-ins of our projects have become a royal
pain in the butt.

We called RoboHelp tech support a couple of years ago to ask what the
heck these files are, and they were of no help. I am not even bothering
to call them again now because, well, I don't think their support is
going to have improved when the product has been tossed about several
times between companies and the product's overall presence is withering.

Does anyone know the scoop on these files? Are they some kind of
temporary file that's ultimately not necessary to compile and view .chm
files? We'd love to delete them, but we fear the consequences.

Thanks,
Amanda

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com