Re: Enhancement requests

Subject: Re: Enhancement requests
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:26:21 -0500

Rebecca,

There are *many* issue tracking/helpdesk solutions out there, quite a
few of whom are open source. Here, for instance, is one that is free
and quite mature (a Perl application):
http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/

Any of these systems provides a much more rational approach to
collecting enhancement requests as well as bug reporting. You could
implement one internally for the enhancement requests you want to
manage, and later extend it as you become comfortable with it for bug
reporting internally and perhaps externally as well.

The good things about issue tracking is that they permit assignment to
a particular individual or group. Your workflow may require that any
enhancement requests must go through given individuals in your
organization for approval...and this, too, can be easily accommodated.
For example, an enhancement may be denied for budget purposes, put in
the queue for future upgrades, or agreed to and put into the work list
for developers immediately, among other options. Any of these can be
tracked with such a system. Best of all, of course, is that nothing
will be forgotten by the system and will always be accessible.

Your quality group can use this system for bug tracking as well--and
it brings a considerable level of accountability to them as their
efforts become visible company wide.

Thus, since capable systems are readily available now at no cost to
the company for acquisition, the only issue should be whether your
company has the time to invest in selection, installation,
configuration, and any training needed. It sounds as if you cannot
afford not to do something along this line.

David

On 7/22/05, Rebecca Hopkins <rebecca_hopkins -at- comcast -dot- net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've just started working for a small-but-growing company. It's experiencing the usual pains caused by the old, ad hoc communication methods being overwhelmed by too much work and too many new employees. So I have been asked to create an enhancement request process.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com