Re: References (was: Why discuss certification?)

Subject: Re: References (was: Why discuss certification?)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 06:50:45 -0700 (PDT)

> A problem I often encounter is that many hiring managers or
> recruiters will specifically ask for "supervisory" references,
> i.e. managers, bosses, project directors, etc. They're not as
> concerned with how

I've never experienced that...however, maybe it's because of how I
deal withy references. When I know a gig is ending, about a week
before, I'll go to about a half dozen people with whom I worked. This
will include one level about my manager (usualy the CTO/CIO type
person), my manager, a manager of a department for whom we did our
work, a techy or two, and an equal peer and ask them if I can use
them as a reference. If they say yes (I've never had one say no) I'll
then enter their names, positions, phones, email addresses, etc in a
formated page that I've been using, one page for each gig I've been
at. This page goes in my portfolio.

At the interview, when they ask for references (and even if they
don't), I'll pull out two or three sheets that are for companies with
positions that are most appropriate, place a checkmark next to the
ones I'm giving them permission to call, and have them make copies of
the sheets.

BTW...I've never had anyone call any of the names that I did not give
permission.

Works well for me.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer