Re: Indexing a 212-page tech document using WORD '03? (take II)

Subject: Re: Indexing a 212-page tech document using WORD '03? (take II)
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:18:39 -0700

Heck, I was expecting you to say that you used HTML Indexer to do the job! <g>

Nope, it's for HTML-authored source only. Thanks for the plug, though! :)

"_That's_ simpler?!?!?" <g> If you're going to do that, you should do it using a macro: record a macro

Actually, I have autotext entries like { XE "" }, but it's about as many keystrokes just to type those characters, and I don't have to remember to have following white space.

I've never been able to keep several hundred keywords straight in my head, hence the need for editing the index. My suggestions were a way to minimize the editing.

Oh, I undertand. That's why I added the bit about it being a good recommendation. I just get into kind of a "zen state" when I'm indexing; intense and relaxing at the same time, if that makes sense. (I have no idea what a zen state is really like, but I imagine it to be like when I'm indexing, at least when I'm indexing my own material.)

The advantage of using the second file is that it allows copy and paste plus spellcheck, two things you can't do as easily with an index that acts as a field that must be updated rather than as plain text.

I use spell-checking on the XE fields along with the rest of the document, rather than on the finished index. There's no point in correcting the compiled index, of course, because any changes I made would be replaced when I updated the { Index } field.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com