Re: News on open source software...

Subject: Re: News on open source software...
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 08:25:25 +1000

Rachel Rawlings wrote:

> The OpenDocument format ... is a standard XML format created
> by OASIS... The XML format used by OpenOffice 1.0 was the
> starting point for the standard, but is not the only
> application which can use it.

> ... Nothing in the document type definition says that only
> open-source tools must be used to /create/ the documents...

A point that a lot of the news commentators (or their headline writers) seem to have missed.

For those interested, this article on the Groklaw website has detailed commentary, discussion, background information and useful links:
MA Chooses OASIS OpenDoc XML as Office Standard,

Scroll down in the Comments section, past a lot of blather, to see several detailed and informative posts by David Wheeler.

--Jean

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com