Professionalism on lists

Subject: Professionalism on lists
From: Carrie Baker <carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:51:02 +0200

I too gave reccomendations to a colleague about who to interview,
after having lunch with 2 of the prospective candidates at an STC
meeting.
While I do not think spelling mistakes here and there in online posts
will make a difference, people's attitude in their letters generally
do.
If you see a certain list member who always answers questions to the
best of their ability, you can see that that person is helpful!
You can learn from the participation in a mailing list if a person is
proficient in specific tools.
Later on, if you have to interview that person, you already know
something about the prospective candidate (knowledgeable about
FrameMaker, seems to know about help systems, willing to share their
knowledge etc. ) I would definitely be more interested in interviewing
a familiar name who had given a good impression on a mailing list. (I
think that people have to work quite hard to give a bad impression
though)

On the other hand, in today's world of Gmail, not everyone is who they
seem to be!__________________________
Subject: Re: Professionalism on lists
From: Beth Agnew <beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:05:57 -0400

I don't think it's the spelling and typing that is going to get an
employer's notice, but the professionalism of the content, how one
responds to others, the lucidity of argument or explanation, and the
breadth or focus of knowledge evident in the post. A good employer will
review more than one message and overlook typos.

You never know when your behavior is being observed by someone you would
otherwise want to impress. I have declined to interview someone I met at
an STC meeting because their conduct was unprofessional during the
meeting.
--Beth

Carrie Baker
carriebak -at- gmail -dot- com