Re: salary for entry level position...

Subject: Re: salary for entry level position...
From: Martin Bosworth <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:30:12 -0400

> The bigger question here is, in terms of one's
> social standing (or even someone's impression of
> you - until they know you better), salary and
> stuff are indicative. So if you settle for a
> lower salary because you are a teetotaller, a
> nonsmoker, and use a bike to work: well, it's
> nice of you but people wd think you dropped out
> of school. As someone said, the other writers may
> ask you to bring coffee even. Maybe you don't
> care but be aware is all i say.
>
> Then again, the corporation is making megabucks,
> why not make them pay you?

Sankara,

Sadly, it's true. I consider it tacky to ask someone how much they
make, because people will automatically size you up on a sociological
level once they hear that number amount. I also don't generally
volunteer my own salary unless I need to. I usually say "I make
plenty" when I do, and "I make enough" when I don't. ;)

When I was first transitioning into this field, I used data from the
STC and the U.S. Bureau of Labor and Statistics to determine what the
entry level salary for a tech writer was, and I gauged my salary
demand accordingly. Interestingly, I've had a number of recruiters
tell me I was underselling myself, and I've since revised my demands
to fit.. ;)

Martin

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com