RE: First impressions (was: salary for entry level position)

Subject: RE: First impressions (was: salary for entry level position)
From: Joyce Fetterman <JoyceF -at- gtsoftware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:20:41 -0400

arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com wrote:
<< IMO, You should never judge a person on their salary. Someone may work
for, say, Children's Hospital for 35k a year whereas they could easily work
for Giant Corp for 70k a year. Working at the Nonprofit they have more
societal value than as an overpaid corporate robot. In fact, they probably
get more accomplished, have more creativity, and receive much encouragement
to move forward in their careers.>>

Isn't that _exactly_ what you did, judge someone on salary? In this case,
you assume that the person working for a non-profit has more "societal
value" than a person working at a giant corporation. You assume that the
lesser-paid non-profit employee gets more done, has more creativity, etc.
What facts are those comments based on?

TW tie-in: Be cautious making value judgments. On the list, such comments
merely serve to form our impressions of the poster. In a work situation,
they can irk your audience and cause unexpected consequences. We need to
make judicious use of judgments.

Joyce

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com