Re: Resolution of graphics for printed docs

Subject: Re: Resolution of graphics for printed docs
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:11:29 -0400

Art, I don't understand.

Desktop size is not directly related to text-column width (desktop
size is not really resolution). Here's what I suggest:

1) Consider your text column when sizing the window you are going to
capture. Size the window before you capture it.

2) Take the screen capture. I use SnagIt. SnagIt is great. There's other tools.

3) Bring the image into FrameMaker/Word/whatever.

4) After you import it, set the image resolution to 120 or 150 or
whatever works to fit your text column but consider that 72 is
probably too low and 300 is way overkill. If your DTP app. does not
support you setting a resolution for imported rasters, set the
resolution at time of capture with SnagIt or use Photoshop or
something before step 3.

5) When you print your PDF, turn off downsampling and use ZIP compression.

Make sense? Don't bother futzing with your desktop size (though I do
recommend a plain color scheme that uses no color gradients).

On 9/30/05, Art Campbell <art -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> I didn't fully explain, but if you can (easily) adjust the screen rez
> so that the
> snap is close to the size at which you will use it, you can eliminate
> or minimize
> interpolation problems when resizing. I usually paste screens into
> either a 4.75 or
> 6.5 column width, and a 1280x1024 screen rez works nicely.

======
T.

Remember, this is online. Take everything with a mine of salt and a grin.