RE: spacing after a period

Subject: RE: spacing after a period
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <tara -dot- charter -at- physiciansmutual -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:11:28 -0500

Tara said...

> I'm the lone tech writer in an old school world. After working here
for
> eight months, my use of "one space after a period" is now under
scrutiny
> but none other than those in charge of documentation. I can't wait to
> see what's next. Like, why did I not use the carbon paper in the
copier?

If you really want to pull the gloves off and climb in the ring over
this one, try using an argument in terms that the suits will understand.
Instead of quoting readability, statistics, theory of typography, or any
other purely academic, aesthetic, or usability data, talk to them about
economics.

Put it to them in simple terms using small words that they won't have
any trouble understanding, like this:

less spaces after full stops = more words per line
more words per line = more information per page
more information per page = fewer pages per document
fewer pages per document = less paper per copy
less paper per copy = less cost for printing
less cost for printing = lower overhead cost
----------------------------------

Therefore: less spaces after full stops = lower overhead costs

Unfortunately, if you're a writer working for non-writers, the
executives in charge likely don't think about the customer satisfaction
that will ultimately drive more repeat business and revenues. Likely
they just care about "how we've always done it" and "how much it costs."
And if you can show them a cheaper way of producing your overhead items
(like manuals) you might get them more interested in usability and
readability and customer satisfaction.

Good luck!

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot-

or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/archiver%40techwr-l.com