Re: spacing after a period

Subject: Re: spacing after a period
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <tara -dot- charter -at- physiciansmutual -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:49:55 -0800

I'd think long and hard before trying to argue that you're going to
deliver a cost savings by using one less space after every sentence,
especially to a non-writing exec, who more than likely is already
not sold on the value of documentation in the first place. If I were
in this situation and was bound and determined to push this issue, I would probably provide a stack of documents from other companies in the same sector to show that we are out of step with "the industry." If there's one label that "old school" execs truly fear, it's "non-comformist." But if your company is truly "old school" AND the people in charge of documentation have a reasonably successful record of delivering their books on-time, within budget and without complicating the execs' lives, then guess
who's going to end up with that label stapled onto forehead...?

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>

Unfortunately, if you're a writer working for non-writers, the
executives in charge likely don't think about the customer satisfaction
that will ultimately drive more repeat business and revenues. Likely
they just care about "how we've always done it" and "how much it costs."
And if you can show them a cheaper way of producing your overhead items
(like manuals) you might get them more interested in usability and
readability and customer satisfaction.