RE: Smart answers and useful answers

Subject: RE: Smart answers and useful answers
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:46:25 -0500

> On Behalf Of Dan Goldstein
>
> Good questions, Bonnie! But yeah, it was a three-person conversation
> within a small area. The second salesperson was indisputably
> correcting
> the first salesperson's terminology. He was looking right at
> *me* while
> he was correcting the first guy, and he waited until I started to turn
> away before delivering the punchline.
>
> The second salesperson mistakenly thought that his job is to be the
> smartest person in the room. But his real job is exactly like mine: to
> communicate effectively with his target audience.

I see....

What stands out for me from your story, in addition to the points you and
others have made, is that every communication event has an underlying,
pre-existing psychological dynamic that cannot be known by the communicator.
That dynamic, between two individuals in this case, may have influenced the
overall unfolding of the event and the dialogue. It's difficult to separate
out what might be the actual deficits in sales knowledge and what might be
the psychological, interpersonal factors that actually caused this
particular event to occur at all.

All I know is that whenever I walk into Radio Shack and babble something,
everybody seems to know exactly what I mean.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com