Re: New Poll Question / Introduction

Subject: Re: New Poll Question / Introduction
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 07:35:52 +0800

Joe Malin <jmalin -at- tuvox -dot- com> wrote:

> The IT director for that company was from South Africa. He was a nice
> guy but very conservative and old-fashioned. When Joy first started as
> the sales rep, she was working on something late one night and this
> gentleman came out and asked her to type something for him! Joy looked
> him right in the eye and said "I am a sales woman and engineer, *not* a
> *typist*. Never ask me to do your clerical work *again*." He never did.

There was a story that went around at a Canadian telecomm company
I worked at.

A young woman emgineer is being interviewed for a big promotion. She
has been managing small teams; this job would give her a department
with a few hundred employees. The interview board is a half dozen
people, all male, including the divisional director she would be working
for and various others. The questioning is gruelling, but she's coping.

For some obscure corporate reason, there are a few guys on the
board who aren't really relevant, seem to have nothing to say. One
of them is an older genteleman who appears near dozing.

Then he decides to make his contribution: "Can you type?"

"Yes. I can also screw, but I've never done either for money so
they aren't on my resume. Next question?"

She got the job.

--
Sandy Harris
Zhuhai, Guangdong, China