Re: Fluid design ... always?

Subject: Re: Fluid design ... always?
From: Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:57:23 -0500

> We've been working on CSS layouts for awhile. When we send the sites for
> critique at all the usual HTML/CSS, particularly ALT.html.critique (which
> Bonnie Granat's a big fan of), sites, we've been told that we should be
> using fluid designs. Blogs typically use them so that the page stretches
> across the screen.

Actually, many sites, not just blogs, use fluid design for the same reason.

> But, one thing many clients utterly hate is a site that stretches across
> the screen making the line lengths too long for ease of reading. I agree,
> coming from a publishing industry background. It doesn't make any sense if
> the point is to develop a site that people will read, why make it hard to
> read?

If you size the content div so that it isn't 100%, then the line
length doesn't get too wide. Most blogs use two side divs, which helps
"fill" the space.

Personally, I'm in favor of fluid design.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~
Please send follow-up questions to the list.
Contact me directly with business inquiries or comments.
2005-2006 Microsoft Help MVP ~ MSHelpWiki
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
Moderator, HATT and MSHelp2
STC Candidate for Secretary
STC Online Information SIG: Online Help Lead
Web site Hosting and Design ~

project-based workflow. Try it today!

proprietary editor! *August release.

or visit