Fluid design ... always?

Subject: Fluid design ... always?
From: Kate <kate -at- pulpculture -dot- org>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 21:45:28 -0500

Hiya!

Speaking of blogs.... :)

We've been working on CSS layouts for awhile. When we send the sites for critique at all the usual HTML/CSS, particularly ALT.html.critique (which Bonnie Granat's a big fan of), sites, we've been told that we should be using fluid designs. Blogs typically use them so that the page stretches across the screen.

But, one thing many clients utterly hate is a site that stretches across the screen making the line lengths too long for ease of reading. I agree, coming from a publishing industry background. It doesn't make any sense if the point is to develop a site that people will read, why make it hard to read?

What are the thoughts on it here?

Thanks,

Kate

"You know how it is, come for the animal porn,
stay for the cultural analysis." -- Michael Berube

Bitch | Lab
http://blog.pulpculture.org