Re: Creating "tabs" at edge of pages in Word 2003?

Subject: Re: Creating "tabs" at edge of pages in Word 2003?
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:40:09 -0500

Brigitte Johnston wrote:

Does anyone know if it's possible to create "tabs" that "bleed" off the edge of
a page using Word 2003 (or do they not actually go off the edge of the page, a
nd you just fudge it somehow)? My page size is a custom size (4.5 wide x 7.15
high). If it's possible to do, can you point me in the right direction? Inser
t a "tab" graphic and make it part of the header for each chapter -- or somethi
ng like that? Or am I way off? I can't seem to find anything in my Word 2003
Que book...or in the Help...

A "bleed" is part of the printing process and takes place after the document
is printed. The printer trims the pages down to size, thereby getting rid
of the border and walla, you got a bleed. You need to talk with your
printer about this, or if you plan on printing all your own stuff inhouse,
then you need to get a good paper sheer and plan on spending time trimming
your pages (and wasting some paper). Since this is not a word processing
function, you won't find anything about page bleeds in either the Que book
or Word Help (although you can find it in InDesign, PageMaker, FrameMaker,
etc.). I don't know of any laser printer that offers full bleed; although,
my high end photo printer does, but I would never use it to print multiple
copies of a manual.


Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award
Winning Videos, Professional Photography
Voice/Msg: 802-658-3140
E-mail: [1]al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
URL: [2] (online portfolio/resume)

See also:
URL: [3] (fine art prints for home or office and note
cards for all occasions)
"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang


1. mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com

WebWorks ePublisher Pro for Word features support for every major Help
format plus PDF, HTML and more. Flexible, precise, and efficient content
delivery. Try it today!.

Doc-To-Help includes a one-click RoboHelp project converter. It's that easy. Watch the demo at

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as archive -at- infoinfocus -dot- com -dot-

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
or visit

To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com

Send administrative questions to lisa -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit for more resources and info.

Creating "tabs" at edge of pages in Word 2003?: From: Brigitte Johnston

Previous by Author: Re: Recruiters without clues
Next by Author: Re: Wanted: Any available doc comparing Word XP and FrameMaker 7.2
Previous by Thread: Creating "tabs" at edge of pages in Word 2003?
Next by Thread: Indexing Question

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads