Re: Wanted: Any available doc comparing Word XP and FrameMaker 7.2

Subject: Re: Wanted: Any available doc comparing Word XP and FrameMaker 7.2
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 09:03:56 -0500

Bryan Sherman wrote:

I found the easiest work-around is to PDF the word document and send that to the printer.
Yes, it is one more step, but every single client I have worked with wanted an editable document at the end, and for the non-tech wrting world that means Word not Framemaker.

PDF has become the acceptable standard for sending documents to a printer. I used it extensively at my last employer with excellent results. It was especially helpful with color material. PDFs can also be edited in Illustrator, allowing for minor tweaks if necessary. I've also worked with a number of technical firms that do all of their source documentation in Word. Some convert the Word document to PageMaker (InDesign, or FrameMaker if they can justify the cost) for the final output, but they keep it in Word until the final review is complete. Others use Word file as the source for Doc-to-Help. WWP for Word or some other program that allows them to print, create Help or e-docs from the same source code. However, with that said, I agree that, unless it is a very simple file, sending a Word document to another location for printing is an exercise in disaster. Even using a template where the fonts and styles are not based on normal.dot won't work all the time. If you are not printing in house, I highly recommend talking to your printer to determine the best method of sending them material. You may be surprised at the workarounds they offer.

When I say talk to your printer, I am referring to a person not the machine.....although, I have been known to have some lengthy and not very pretty conversations with my printer (the machine).
--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang