Re: Laying out a newsletter

Subject: Re: Laying out a newsletter
From: "Barry Campbell" <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Odile Sullivan-Tarazi" <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 16:20:16 -0400

On 4/8/06, Odile Sullivan-Tarazi <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com> wrote:

> A quick question . . .
>
> What app would you use to lay out a newsletter? I used to use
> PageMaker, but that was a good long while ago. Is FrameMaker good
> for that? Acrobat? Something else altogether?

If you still have a copy of PageMaker, it will work fine for a newsletter.
Adobe still sells PageMaker but hasn't introduced any new features of any
significance in a long time; their primary emphasis seems now to be on a
program called InDesign, which I think is a very nice page-layout/desktop
publishing program.

FrameMaker would work for publishing newsletters, but it's expensive and has
a steep learning curve, and is really designed more for industrial-strength,
complex technical publishing. Using it for a newsletter would be a little
like using a nuclear reactor to heat water for your tea.

If the newsletter layout isn't terribly complex, you might try Microsoft
Word or OpenOffice.

Acrobat is not a page layout or design program. It's a tool used to produce
PDF (Portable Document Format) files for distribution; instead of sending a
file to the printer, you create a readable, distributable file in PDF
format. The documents themselves were developed in other software, such as
PageMaker, InDesign, FrameMaker, Word or OpenOffice.

- bc

--
Barry Campbell <barry -at- campbell-online -dot- com>
Voice: 212.807.1836 | Mobile: 646.498.3518 | Fax: 866.522.7270