RE: Framemaker questions

Subject: RE: Framemaker questions
From: "Rowena Hart" <RHart -at- ACDSystems -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:02:53 -0700

Hi Suchitra,

You can't assign shortcut keys to specific paragraph or character
formats, but you can use the keyboard to apply them. The following is
from the FrameMaker help:

To apply a format from the keyboard, press Control+9 (for paragraph
formats) or Control+8 (for character formats). At the status bar prompt,
start typing the format's tag until the name appears. (Lowercase letters
search forward; uppercase letters search backward.) You can also use the
up arrow and down arrow keys to scroll through formats. Press Return to
apply the format. To cancel, click in the document without pressing
Return.

It looks like you can create macros if you are running FrameMaker on the
UNIX operating system. However, I'm not sure that FrameMaker's "macros"
work the same way as Word's. The FrameMaker help describes macros as
follows:

A macro is a shortcut for a sequence of keystrokes. You assign the macro
a trigger--a key sequence you'll press to play back the macro. When you
press the trigger, the macro plays back as if you were typing the
keystrokes yourself. A macro can be simple--for example, it could type a
word or phrase you use often--or it can be complex. For example, it
might search for the paragraph tag of a first-level heading, move the
insertion point to the next paragraph, and paste a format that's on the
Clipboard.

I have not used FrameScript or Macro Express. Sorry, can't help you
there.

Cheers,

Rowena