RE: What tools to buy?

Subject: RE: What tools to buy?
From: "James Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 06:19:35 -0700

>Pete wrote:

>Hi Everyone!

>My boss came into my office yesterday with the following question: Do you
>have any hardware/software requests for the coming year?

>I am one of two tech writers for a pretty large software company. The only
>experience we both have in tech writing is with this company. The only two
>software packages we use is Microsoft Office and RoboHelp.

>If your boss came to you with that same question, what would you say? What
>are the must-have software packages in a Tech Writing department?

Hi Pete,

I'll give this one a try. Keep in mind that you are in Europe and I am not,
so I don't like you very much. Can we trade places? :^)

Since I have to get going, I'll include links to what I think you may want
without any detailed explanations.

Adobe Acrobat is perfect for distributing your work:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/

Although I've used RoboHelp, I think that FrameMaker is a much better
product:
http://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/

I couldn't imagine using anything else for the graphics in my documentation:
http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.asp

In case you need to produce online help. If WebWorks was any easier to use,
it would produce your content for you:
http://www.webworks.com/

I just started using this to produce online tutorials. I like it:
http://www.softwarecasa.com/pprod/212402dd.htm?gclid=CJeKr_6smYgCFShCYwodDwk
gXA