problem with tables in MS word when appyling two column format to only part of the page

Subject: problem with tables in MS word when appyling two column format to only part of the page
From: T K <tvk_tw -at- yahoo -dot- ie>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, techcomm -at- user -dot- itconsult -dot- co -dot- uk
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 01:07:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,
I have been trying to insert a table into MS Word as follows:

1. Set top half of page to two column format.
2. Insert table. I want this table, which has a number of columns to take advantage of the two column feature of Word so that I can have it appearing twice, side by side.
3. Make table wrap around to the second column.
3. Insert continuous section break half way down page (as I want the bottom half of the page to be just one column format) and apply one column format to the lower half of the page.

The problem I am encountering is that the continuous section break that denotes the end of the two column format does not seem to allow the bottom of the right hand table to line up with the bottom of the left hand table. The bottom of the right hand table is always either one or two rows above the bottom of the left hand table (one row above when there is an odd number of rows and two rows above when there is an even number of rows). I would expect that if there is an even number of rows then it should be straightforward to make the bottom of the right hand table line up with the bottom of the left hand table. However, I am unable to achieve this depsite playing around with it for ages, referring to MS Word Help and adjusting various settings.

Has anyone tried to do this before? Perhaps there is a different approach I can use to have a table repeat in an adjacent column. Except for this issue with the bottom of the tables not lining up, it seems like a useful feature because it allows for the heading to be automatically repeated in the second instance of the table in the right hand column.

As always, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom.