RE: Why oh why oh why

Subject: RE: Why oh why oh why
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:07:16 -0500

Applying to truck manufacturers was a great idea. While you're looking for
a permanent job, also write some "how tos" for industry magazines (truck
building, mechanics, truck drivers, construction)! See the Writer's Market
(in the library) to find these.

Also let ad agencies know you're available. One of my first freelance jobs
was with a small ad agency that brought me in to write the spec sheets for
the first Morgan Curtainsider trucks. I knew absolutely nothing about
trucks, but I knew how to turn six boxes of seemingly-unrelated information
into an appropriately informative 8.5 x 11 spec sheet -- I also wrote some
of the first spec sheets for Corning's optical fiber! The truck job took
two days, fiber went back and forth with a committee for about a week.

I'm not any kind or unkind of genius, but I am a pretty good tech writer who
has enjoyed the benefit of some good training, and I have one of those "ooh,
it's a word jigsaw puzzle, oh goody" brains. If you have one of those, your
skills are wanted and needed. Other people see those six boxes and get so
dizzy they can't go anywhere from there.

You just have to find the right spot. It's out there, and it's worth
looking for.

Dori Green