RE: Maybe recruiters are improving.

Subject: RE: Maybe recruiters are improving.
From: Kevin McLauchlan <kmclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: 'Ned Bedinger' <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>, Lauren <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:19:54 -0500

Ned Bedinger replied to Lauren:

> Lauren wrote:
> > I got a message that really did not apply to me. It was
> from a recruiter,
> > whom I have worked with but seems to be using a "random
> applicant generator"
> > to fill positions anyway. Then I got a recall notice.
> This is new. I'm
> > not accustomed to recall notices for email.

> Wow, haven't heard of that in a long time, but obviously it is still
> around. It reminds me of the feature that showed up in Outlook circa
> 1990--you could recall a sent email as long as the recipient
> hadn't read
> it yet. I used it for a while, until I discovered automatic spell
> checking :-)

The main reason that you haven't heard of it much is that it
really isn't very useful. Most people who use Outlook tend
to have one or another of the preview options enabled, so
the message is flagged as read/seen as soon as it hits the
Inbox. You could write a one-keystroke macro to attempt the
recall, and press the button before the pixels had even faded
on your outgoing message, and you'd still get "Message cannot
be withdrawn... one or more recipients has opened..."

Actually, come to think of it, the attempted withdrawal leaves
a notice to that effect in the Inbox of every original recipient,
so - on the principle that any publicity is good publicity, the
low-rent recruiter gets to spam you (get his name in your face)
twice, while looking like a good guy who made an "honest mistake".
Cute.

Kevin (who might've taken too many mistrust pills this morning)