Re: certification (was: ranting STC)

Subject: Re: certification (was: ranting STC)
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- covad -dot- net>
To: Ladonna Weeks <ladonna -dot- weeks -at- comtrak -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 22:59:45 -0800

Ladonna Weeks wrote:
> Does anybody remember WordStar? It was pre-GUI but had good
> control key assignments. I could type so fast with it. I was
> sorry to see it go. I hated Word Perfect. I could never remember
> whether to use Alt, Ctrl, or Shift with whatever function key was
> supposed to do a particular thing. I printed the chart and tacked
> it to the wall and still had trouble.
The first manuals I ever wrote were on a bootleg copy of Wordstar 3.31
on a bastard CP/M machine.
I printed to a dot-matrix printer, pasted up graphics, and photocopied
for production.
The photocopy smoothed the dots and made the text look better.
"production" meant 5 or 10 copies for whatever class I was teaching at
the time.
8" floppies, one for O/S and one for apps.
A mono text monitor for... text, and a Tektronix graphics terminal for
graphics. (It was actually a proprietary kinda programming system for
CNC laser cutting systems)
4MHz Z80, 64KB Ram.
An external expansion box that was close to a cubic foot, just used for
a 64kb RAM drive.
The other engineers called it a Buick, 'cause it was about as big as one.

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit

Re: certification (was: ranting STC): From: D. Michael McIntyre
Re: certification (was: ranting STC): From: Chris Borokowski
RE: certification (was: ranting STC): From: Ladonna Weeks