Re: Fonts

Subject: Re: Fonts
From: "D. Michael McIntyre" <michael -dot- mcintyre -at- rosegardenmusic -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:38:38 -0500

On Thursday 15 March 2007 6:29 am, Sarah Bouchier wrote:
> For online text, Verdana is your friend. It's what it was designed for.
> It's very legible, even at small sizes. The only caveat is that some
> people have their browsers set to override what the page is using, and
> if you display your text at small sizes it might be perfectly legible in
> Verdana but not so hot in whatever font the person on the other end is
> using.

On that topic, I wish everyone designing a web page would have a care to make
sure the thing isn't completely wrecked if the user chooses to use larger
fonts than you specified.

I run the point sizes up several notches on everything, and about 75% of the
web is moderately broken, while maybe 25% of is is completely unusable. Text
that doesn't fit into buttons, floating graphical elements that obscure text
that is larger than anticipated, etc. Browsing the web at a size I can read
without strain is annoying.
D. Michael McIntyre

Web-based technology, and PDF output.

to 106 languages with Help &amp; Manual:

or visit

RE: Fonts: From: Sarah Bouchier