Re: Geoff Lane's "arrogant PC bunch"

Subject: Re: Geoff Lane's "arrogant PC bunch"
From: john -at- garisons -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 10:13:13 -0400 (EDT)

Even then you have to be careful. A few years ago someone on the
Washington DC City Council was forced to resign for using the word
"niggardly" correctly. It seems a lot of people thoguht it meant somethign
it didn't. A perfectly good word now verboten. (See this column for more
info: http://www.larryelder.com/racial/niggardly.htm Caution: the
column does use the other "N-word")

Lots of other words have been hijacked, too. When was the last time you
saw the word "gay" used in its original (and still correct sense) of
meaning light-hearted and happy?

So what does this all say? I dunno, but I know that there is no
Consitutional right guaranteeing that somehow, in some way you won't be
occasionally offended. My advice: Deal with it. If it was done in a
mean-spirited manner, then by all means let the person know that they were
intentionally offensive. If it's not, just move along as there's not much
you can do about it.

For a scary look at things run amuck, read Kurt Vonnegut's "Harrison
Bergeron" where PC-ness is carried beyond mere words.

My 2¢,

John G