Re: DITA - how to start?

Subject: Re: DITA - how to start?
From: "Bob Doyle" <bobdoyle -at- skybuilders -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, "Kevin McGowan" <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:55:17 -0400

Hi Kevin,

I agree that the framemaker-dita list is a most valuable list.

But it is just one of many in the DITA Community.

The single most valuable one is dita-users -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot- It has five times as
many messages as framemaker-dita.

Here are the other major lists I subscribe to for DITA, taken from
http://www.ditanews.com/resources/mailing_lists/

editors.

DITA News publishes a monthly newsletter and encourages vendors to
distribute their press releases on the list.

FrameMaker DITA Development
Group<http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/framemaker-dita/>(Yahoo
framemaker-dita mailing list).

The FrameMaker-DITA group is moderated by Kay (Ethier) Whatley. It is a
private effort by a team of individuals and is not a corporate project.

The group is a large, interacting community of hundreds (780 as of January
2007).

Emails not on point may be declined by the moderator. Information posted
herein is not copyrighted to the group but to the original poster.

users.

dita-users mailing list).

A mailing list to support DITA was set up as a Yahoo Group by IBM in May
2004 and called the IBM DITA Forum. It has over 1200 members and is the main
mailing list for DITA.

STC Single-Sourcing discussion
list<http://lists.stc.org/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=stc-single-sourcing-l>(STC
membership required).

Tech Writers list serv
<http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/index.php3>(TECHWR-L).

Hope this helps,

Bob.

On 8/31/07, Kevin McGowan <thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> As a day-to-day DITA user, I have to tell you the honest truth. The best
> resources are the folks on the DITA Framemaker Yahoo group. The obvious
> caveat meaning that they work with the FrameMaker DITA plugin...but they
> are
> very knowledgeable about DITA and its various applications.
>
> There is sweet little DITA documentation out there that I've found to be
> thoroughly useful. A lot of theoretical info, and some practical tool info
> that appears in the odd article, and postings on the aforementioned group.
>
> As for Windows tools...there are many besides FrameMaker. If you're trying
> to accomplish a specific task, your own specs and budget will determine
> which one to go with.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
>

> >From: "Rob Hudson" <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>
> >To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
> >Subject: DITA - how to start?
> >Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:03:27 -0500
> >
> >I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but as a new PhD
> >student and "old" documenter, I'm wondering about foundational
> >resources and readings for both DITA theory and DITA applicaiton.
> >
> >And speaking of applications, what are my options in Windows for DITA
> >tools? Do I just grab a reference manual and a copy of XML Spy?
> >
> >What do DITA users on this list use in day-to-day tasks?
> >
> >Rob
> >
> >--
> >Rob Hudson
> >PhD Student, Technical Comm. and Rhetoric
> >Composition Assessment Software Developer
> >Texas Tech University
> >www.iteachwriting.com
> >^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> >printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> >Microsoft Office, team authoring, plus more.
> >http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList
> >
> >True single source, conditional content, PDF export, modular help.
> >Help & Manual is the most powerful authoring tool for technical
> >documentation. Boost your productivity! http://www.helpandmanual.com
> >
> >---
> >You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as thatguy_80 -at- hotmail -dot- com -dot-

> >or visit
> >
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/thatguy_80%40hotmail.com
> >

> >To subscribe, send a blank email to techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> >
> >Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> >http://www.techwr-l.com/ for more resources and info.

> Put Your Face In Your Space with Windows Live Spaces
> http://spaces.live.com/?mkt=en-ca

> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

> ---
> [...]

Bob Doyle
Editor In Chief, CMS Review - http://www.cmsreview.com
Founder, DITA Users - http://www.ditausers.org
Former Technology Advisor, CM Pros -
http://www.cmprofessionals.org/membership/cm-profiles/bob-doyle
Contributing Editor, EContent Magazine -
http://www.econtentmag.com/Articles/ArticleIndex.aspx?ContextSubtypeID=71
President and CEO, skyBuilders - http://www.skybuilders.com
77 Huron Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02138