RE: Negotiating for salary and enhancers

Subject: RE: Negotiating for salary and enhancers
From: "Jim Barrow" <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 07:50:09 -0800

>It's entirely possible I'll be offered a staff position after having been
working agency >contract assignments for the last dozen years or so.

And speaking of permanent positions...

When I was brought onboard as a permanent employee it was a very pleasant
experience and, in my opinion, an offer made because my employer really
liked what I was doing.

Since that time I was given a great budget and was able to hire three more
tech writers and an analyst. These are contractors, with the BA being a
consultant (corp-to-corp).

Recently I've seen other departments tighten their budgets by laying off
employees, a few of which were in the U.S. on a work visa. I thought our
department had dodged the proverbial bullet. That was until yesterday, when
I found out that one of my resources has to go. Why? Well, two of the tech
writers have been with me for nine months and our employer has stated that,
after a recent audit, we must make an offer to contractors who have been on
the job for more than six months. Unfortunately, there's only one slot in
the head count.

This is a problem. I really don't want to lose a resource, so I'm trying to
come up with a proposal for our HR department. Can we fire one of the tech
writers and then rehire them? Since one of the writers is corp-to-corp, do
the same laws/guidelines apply to that person as it does with other
contractors?

Looking for ideas,

Jim

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList