RE: musicians among us

Subject: RE: musicians among us
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Fred Ridder'" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:28:12 -0800

Fred,

Why don't you try to find a way to say something constructive and maybe take
part in the discussion at hand? Geometry is a part of mathematics, so for
me to refer to a geometric theorem as an example of Pythagoras's role in
math is not an error. You haven't really illustrated any error, although
you seem interested in finding errors rather than in discussing topics. Who
here really needs the detailed discussion about geometry when the discussion
was about the relationship between music and math? What is the value in
explaining that the square is "on the hypotenuse" and not "of the
hypotenuse"? I don't give a flip and you have not added *any* value to this
discussion, by this nit-picking.

Your Freudian interpretation of Pythagoras is also irrelevant, as Pythagoras
never wrote anything, "his" theories came from his students and his work is
more than a casual fascination in ratios as you seem to imply. Theories in
math and music are attributed to Pythagoras and I provided examples of that
fact. His theories are an example of a relationship between math and music.

You have failed to discuss anything with respect to the relationship between
math and music, which is the current topic. This topic is a good discussion
because it illustrates factors in learning and relationships between
different modes of learning. The examples of relationships are valid even
if they lack the detail and accuracy you think they should possess. They
illustrate that there is a relationship between math and music, so
relationships between learning math and learning music should also exist,
which is my discussion.

Technical writing is a tool for education of technology users.
Understanding modes of learning is valuable for technical writers, but there
is no value in nit-picking details as you have done. When you say that the
Pythagorean theorem is a geometric and not a mathematical theory, you seem
to imply that the discussion of the theory is not related to math, yet it
is. My discussion also shows that there is a relationship between some of
the principles of mathematical relationships and relationships between
tones, which is the foundation of music.

You haven't said anything about the relationship between math and music and
how learning one discipline helps to learn the other. To be quite honest, I
don't see how your discussion relates to the topic, to learning in general,
to relationships between different disciplines, or to technical writing at
all. It seems like you are just trying to say something contradictory to my
post, but you don't have anything of value to add.

Lauren