Re: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?

Subject: Re: Writing Corrective Actions for customers?
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:57:50 -0700

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
> [...]

Th subject matter and the nature of the communication are enough to make
some mules kick in their stalls. The "letter" might be that way for
some, but I don't think anyone here ever said it was.

>> I've studied law, and I've worked in tech writing for nearly twenty
>> years, and if my understanding of the task was as thin and uncertain as
>> Deborah's, I could end up looking like I sacrificed the client's
>> interests to forward my own ambition. I hate it when I look like that,
>> it is just so bad for business.
>>
>> I wonder if *anyone* refrained from designing a solution because they
>> didn't have enough info? No? I thought not. We are good designers.
>
> With due modesty, I would say yes, "someone" did. Deborah
> said "I've been asked to write a letter"

see above

> and then asked what
> others suggested to satisfy a short list of goals. Some of us

Right. There's no warranty expressed or implied. All standard
disclaimers apply. We don't give legal advice or represent any
discussion as such.

> just answered her question as best we could, with the
> presumption that she would take all our suggestions (not
> solutions), sit down with her client and together devise a
> plan that suited their needs.

Right. We discuss it socially, not as a professional consultation.

> If I ever thought for one moment that anyone in this forum
> would take one of my suggestions and blindly implement it
> as a one-size-fits-all "solution," I'd be loathe to express
> my opinion on anything. Remember that, and the next time
> you want to shut me up just tell me you're waiting with baited
> breath to go back to the office and do whatever I suggest.

I was afraid you were going to say "..want to shut me up, just go back
and read the original post carefully." In fact, I'm just about finished
reading it now.

--Ned "muleskinner"

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList