RE: Word autocreates styles no matter what

Subject: RE: Word autocreates styles no matter what
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Nancy Allison" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 12:59:18 -0600

Nancy Allison wrote:

> You know how Word creates new styles if you use the
> formatting toolbar items within a style. So, if you select a
> word and click B in the toolbar to bold it, in your Para
> style, Word creates
> Para Bold
> and sticks it in the Styles and Formatting pane.
> According to Word help and every online site I found, if you
> deselect "Define styles based on your formatting",
> (Tools/Autoformat As You Type tab), this behavior goes away.
> It doesn't. Selected, deselected, Word keeps adding new
> styles. Why? Am I missing something?
> In case you're wondering, the solution -- regardless of
> whether that option is selected -- is to create character
> styles and format exclusively with them.

Susan Gallagher told you how to prevent Word from creating those style
variants. But your solution is actually the better one: use defined
character styles, not ad hoc formatting.

IMHO, of course. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom

documentation. Boost your productivity!

or visit

Word autocreates styles no matter what: From: Nancy Allison