Re: Is Vista "there" yet?

Subject: Re: Is Vista "there" yet?
From: sintac -at- home -dot- nl
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 00:06:48 +0200

I've been using it on my new laptop for about 4 months.
It is slower than XP, but I was ready to forgive that because I
actually do like the new look and feel.

However, I am learning to hate it more every day. Adobe Reader
8 crashes it regularly, but not so regularly that I am not stupid enough
to forget and save everything before I open it. Unfortunately, by crash -
and XP never, ever did this, I mean total freeze where even the clock
stops. The only remedy is to turn the power off. Worse, by doing so,
Word doesn't save anything and doesn't create a recovery file -
nor, apparently, do many other applications. Result ... it's like being
back in the days of Windows 3.11 when a crash usually meant that
you lost several hours work. And they call this progress.

It's a tablet notebook, but I also use a Wacom tablet. Wacom assured me
there would be no problems with 2 tablets ... wrong. I have been fighting
with drivers that won't install, drop out after 5 minutes; the works, and
now Wacom say it's a known driver problem they are working on.

The HP window manager crashes on EVERY start (I've only ever seen it
work once since I bought the notebook) and my list of programs that crash
when I try to install them is steadily getting longer and longer.

YMMV, but I'd say Vista is definitely not ready for prime time.

documentation. Boost your productivity!

or visit

Is Vista "there" yet?: From: McLauchlan, Kevin