RE: Training for Management

Subject: RE: Training for Management
From: ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com
To: <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:52:23 +0200

Hi Sylvia,

I think Milan's idea of talking this through with your manager is a good one, if he or she is a good manager (your call).

If, when you come to a conclusion, a training course is seen as the way forward, I can recommend Learning Tree courses (www.learningtree.com). I'm in the process of completing a Change Management certification, which comprises four courses. I'm doing course 292 - Communication Skills: Results Through Collaboration as my elective as it looks at collaborative working. I've also considered 290 - Management Skills as I, like you, have no direct line management experience. One or both of these may help. The training is conducted not by trainers, but by practicing professionals, who also train and mentor others.

HTH,
Ant

I need to know how to manage the people and the documentation so we can meet
the deadlines and so that the work gets done.

I don't have other experience other than finding myself in that situation
without prior experience. I know how to manage myself because I know that I
can rely on myself but managing other people is different. I know that when
I say that I will do something, I do it or if I can't do it, I make sure
that my boss knows so that he can make a decision about what to do about it.
However, other people are not like that and I would like to know how to
handle the various situations so that we can deliver. I would also like to
know how to actually manage the whole department (3 people).

I would like to get recommendations for management training. Is it better to
get a general management training course or does is it better to get
specific skills for documentation management. I would like to get
recommendations and possibly reading references.

How do I get started if I am in that position?

Thank you,

Sylvia

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList