RE: Doc management?

Subject: RE: Doc management?
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Daniel Ng <kjng -at- gprotechnologies -dot- com>, 'TECHWR-L Whirlers' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 12:10:58 -0400

Daniel Ng wrote:

> Yes..but isn's sharepoint free for most purposes...? Its also free with the
> OS. Its freely downloadable and everything...

Not exactly. There is something called SharePoint Services, which is the
underlying enabling technology for a family of collaboration capabilities,
that is free to users of Windows Server 2003.

But to get a CMS (or DMS) as that term is commonly understood, you either
have to develop your own custom application on top of SharePoint Services,
or else you have to buy the SharePoint Server product suite, which is
*not* free.

If my explanation is not clear, refer to the bottom half of the web page at
http://www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/prodinfo/what.mspx
for more details and a product comparison between "Services" and "Server".

-Fred Ridder

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/