RE: Poll: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?

Subject: RE: Poll: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Tom Johnson" <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:51:34 -0400

Tom Johnson offered:

> For many, I think technical writing is more of a "stumbled-upon"
career.
> "Fallback" implies that it's in the back of people's minds as an
option B.

That describes my situation.

TW was a much better fit, when I looked around within Philips (in
1985-ish) for something NOT connected to field support or otherwise
having my head inside a machine with a deadline and a customer breathing
down my neck. Granted I still had my head inside lots of machines, but
it wasn't because some customer was down and waiting for me to figure
out their problem and get them back to earning revenue again.

TW, aside from being inherently enjoyable, was the kind of work that I
could "down tools" and walk away from at the end of each workday.
Moreover, each workday HAD an end.

Definitely more "stumbled-upon" than "fallback", and certainly not a
sell-out from my perspective. I'm honest enough with myself to realize
that I never did have the next Great American Novel inside me. (Being
Canadian, I'd still say Great American Novel, 'cuz the market is so much
bigger and more lucrative...)

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/