Re: Safest Way to Test FM Upgrade

Subject: Re: Safest Way to Test FM Upgrade
From: Gary Schnabl <gSchnabl -at- LivernoisYards -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 19:36:03 -0500

Pinkham, Jim wrote:
> Hi, all --
>
> I'm running FM 7.1p116 on a machine with these basic spex:
>

> * 3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
> * 16 kilobyte primary memory cache
> * 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
> * 17.79 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
> * 2048 Megabytes Installed Memory
>
> It's not partitioned, and it's probably the only computer I get to play
> with (i.e., not likely to be able to use a separate, non-production test
> machine). I'm suspecting the computer is sufficiently robust for the
> task, but if not, I need to know that, too.
>
> More to the point, our colleagues across the pond have switched to FM 8,
> and for the first time, I have a manual originating with them that I'll
> need to use on this project. I have the FM 8/TCS trial on a CD and have
> not yet installed it. After this week, I'm very interested in
> downloading FM 9/TCS 2, and -- all things being equal -- skipping FM 8
> altogether. In any case, I'll need one of the two to be able to open the
> FM files I've received (realizing, of course, that it might be possible
> to have them resave the FM files in FM 7 -- but that's not really
> germane to what I want to know).
>
> Which brings me to a couple of questions:
>

> 1. What steps would you all advise to test the new release without
> jeopardizing my current configuration in the event I am unable or
> unwilling (because of bugs, budget, or whatever) to continue with new
> version? I'm looking for advice on essential files to back up, plug-ins
> to protect, where to place everything so that FM 7 and FMx don't
> interfere with each other, what is essential to set the stage for a
> rollback. I'm looking for examples to follow and errors to avoid so
> that there are no GOTCHA! experiences and I can return to work as I now
> know it in a hurry if need be. Basically, whatever is pertinent for safe
> computing and relatively undisturbed workflow in this situation.
> 2. Is there any "showstopper," compelling reason not to go straight
> to FM 9 if I can tolerate a reasonably modest learning curve and my
> computer configuration permits it?
>
> Any insights appreciated -- including those who have avoided the
> pitfalls and those who have experienced them and learned from them.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

It costs the same ($298 or so, I think) to upgrade directly to FM 9, so
obviously I would do that. I may spring for it, as I generally don't
bother to upgrade software that frequently unless out of necessity or
real benefit.

As to FM 8, eighteen months ago I ran its evaluation on an IBM T23
ThinkPad (1.13 Mhz P3 with 3/4 GB RAM on Vista Ultimate) and reverted
back to FM 7.0 OK afterwards. Running FM 7.0 on Vista is not supported,
but I still have it running OK on that same laptop, now with 1 GB RAM.
Install on another hard-drive partition if you think you may have
trouble reinstalling FM 7.1 afterwards. I forget if I had uninstalled FM
7.0 back then or not, as it's been a while.

Gary

http://www.doctohelp.com