Re: At what point can I pass the buck?

Subject: Re: At what point can I pass the buck?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 08:55:39 -0700

1) I agree that this provides the opp'y to make new relationships.

2) Also, it may provide the opp'y, if you can subtly and professinally
document it, to jockey your position in a direction you would like it to go.

3) In relation to SMEs; I've now been on two projects where the SMEs were
either entirely unavailable (off in their own ivory towers) or were H1-Bs
with very poor linguistic skills, work ethics, or both. (Before I start a
flame war, there are other ESLs with whom I've had the distinct pleasure to
work, so I'm not painting with a broad brush.) If you're able to help as
"interpreter," you become a valuable ally and may be in line for some free
lunches, a bottle of vino, or whatever. Also, word eventually gets around
that you're a valuable "go to" guy, with astute mgmt. (perhaps) eventually
coming to realize same.

http://www.doctohelp.com