Re: Another grammar gotcha

Subject: Re: Another grammar gotcha
From: Fox Cole <foxcole -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:45:16 -0500

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

> The problem with this approach is that it is not the *tables* that change
> the loan's rate. Some person (or person plus computer system) has to *use*
> the tables when performing some required action to actually change the rate.
>
> -Fred Ridder

If I were the user, it might appear to me that they do.

My mental model is that the tables are spreadsheets directly linked to the
calculation of the regular rate but not the introductory rate. If that's not
the case and the tables are static data displays, then it perhaps would need
a more specific rewrite.

In any case, it seems to me that the sentence isn't an instruction but a
concept definition that draws the relationships between the two tables and
the two types of rates. Concept material need not be as literal as
instructions, and can in fact be more effective when presented
figuratively... e.g., tables changing the rates.

The action the user must take to actually change the rate would, of course,
follow the concept and would require literal precision.

Cheers!
---Fox

If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle. -- Rita Mae
Brown

http://www.doctohelp.com