Re: Telecommute: Thanks!

Subject: Re: Telecommute: Thanks!
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 12:32:18 -0400

When I worked for Hewlett Packard, they were actively promoting the idea
of telecommuting. I worked from home (in Vermont) for a year on a
project that was primarily staffed in Colorado. All that ended shortly
after Mark Hurd replaced Carly Fiorino and they instituted new policies
that pretty much required everyone to work from an office. Oh well, it
was nice while it lasted!

I have since done several contracts remotely, including one where I
developed an online help system for a brand new application. I had VPN
access to the daily builds, and frequent IM and phone conversations with
the developer. I delivered on time without any problems and three or
four site visits over 4 months.

With IM, phone, and access to code, it's almost the same as working in
an office. The only thing I couldn't do was walk down the hall and peer
over someone's cube wall ... but I could get someone else to do it if
necessary.

Here's hoping I'll get the opportunity again soon!

My 2¢,

John Garison

http://www.doctohelp.com